Saturday, August 22, 2009

"I get it... You're Sentimental."




I had those very words said to me yesterday by a dear friend who decided she had finally figured me out. Feeling perhaps a bit guilty over being excited that school was starting she wondered if there was something wrong with her due to the fact that I do not share those same feelings. In fact, I love summer. Don't get me wrong, having them home with "All Mommy all the time" does have its red-head spinning moments, but I love having no schedule to follow but our own and being able to go swimming, bake brownies, or trump up a game of "Uno" on a whim.


So, with the beginning of school approaching ("3 more sleeps" as Maddie says) I do have a knot in my stomach. On Monday - it all changes for her - the start of Kindergarten means now I have to share her. (I no want to sare) But, the excitement on her face puts my selfish feelings at bay and I move on .... in tears... but moving on. But as long as we are dealing with change why not torture ourselves with ill-timing........ Walker asked for a big boy bed "like Dackson's" .


Granted, it is time. He is 3 1/2 and has feet hanging out of the baby bed but he has not even attempted to climb out and well.... he is the 4th...... and the baby..... and ..... quite honestly being "parents of the year" most of the time we would just forget he needed a new bed until we put him in the crib every night.


So, as I watched, Kevin began to disassemble the baby crib that has been assembled for 10 years. I looked at all the teeth marks remembering their evil grins as they chewed on the railings, saw a few dings and scratches from heaven knows what toys they had snuck in, and even an old orange tag with a number on it that the movers had put on it before they loaded it onto the truck for our move to Texas from Seattle. So many memories that all seemed to happen way too fast. Ten years ago as I sat on the floor in our tiny home in Maple Valley, 8 months pregnant watching Kevin put it together I could not have begun to imagine what all God had planned for us and that bed! Yeah, ... I am sentimental.... and I have a baby bed neatly tucked away in my attic now to prove it.


3 comments:

  1. ok- I promise not to comment on every post... but seriously- this made me tear up. luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well, well...look who came over to the dark side. As long as every post contains photos like this, you are allowed to continue. Maddie- is she sentimental about our wedding, and that explains the dress? Walker- what?

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike Sarah, I will probably comment on every post!! :-) Now that I figured out that I do have a google account and can leave a comment. Ya, the whole taking the crib down thing...gotta admit I had a few tears myself. So many memories of the kiddos when they were so little. Love ya and miss ya!!!

    ReplyDelete