Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Atleast its not a "pallet" on the floor....







You all know what I am talking about - when you were a kid and were at your grandma's at Christmas everyone had a bed to sleep in ... everyone except you. Probably because you were the youngest you heard your mom say "Oh, don't worry about her - we'll just make her a "pallet" on the floor". This was mainly because the beds were all taken, your older brother got the couch, and your aunt and uncle were the "lucky" ones who got to sleep on the "rollaway" rented from Heaven knows where. (ick... and to think at age 10 I thought that portable bed that appeared out of no where was cool) I can still see my dad (or one of my uncles) driving up with a "rented rollaway" in the back of the truck. (again... ick) But, not for me -- I got the pallet on the floor!!! Which, by the way was really just a blanket - perhaps folded over twice if mom was feeling generous. But as I lay on the floor I dreamed of a day when I would be sleeping in one of the beds because I would be old and married. Fat chance - I couldn't believe it when my very first Christmas as an old married woman didn't bump me up to the bed or even the "rollaway" - yep - Kevin and I found ourselves ..... on a "pallet" ...... on the floor. Just not folded over twice this time because it has to be bigger to fit the two of us. I thought that I had seen it all at that point. Little did I know....
You see, Sunday night the "whole family" was at Mimi's and Paw-Paw's to celebrate Paw-Paw's birthday and Labor Day. Yes, I mean everyone - all 14 1/2 of us - which is ALWAYS a good time. Lots of laughs and lots of people and lots of fun... then bedtime arrives.
But don't worry - Kevin and I have finally arrived - we were not sequestered to a "pallet" on the floor for all 6 members of our family. And I don't even think people have "rented rollaways" anymore. Oh no! We have entered a new era forever forsaking the banishment of the "pallet". We have stooped to a whole new level .... we found ourselves and our four children laying our heads to sleep ..... in a tent..... out back!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. LIES. ALL LIES. And shame on you for trying to pull my son into this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! Did it bring back memories of good 'ol Church camping??? Boy do we have some stories to share about that. :-) Love ya all!! Miss you!! Brandi

    ReplyDelete